« May 2015 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

All events in Linz

All visitors and tourists traveling to other countries and to Austria must have a valid passport. Your passport should contain personal information such as the passport holder’s full name, date and place of birth and
sex. A passport does not entitle the holder to reside in a foreign country.

To reside in a foreign country, a residence visa is required. Citizens from the European Economic Area (and all EU countries, plus Iceland and Liechtenstein) have the right to travel, work and reside in any EU country
without a visa.


Helpful advice:

  • obey all road and traffic regulations in Austria
  • use a good map
  • learn more about ticket discounts and special prices
  • ensure that your passport has not expired
  • when operating a motor vehicle have your driver’s license with you at all times as you can be checked at any time


Road and trail maps can be purchased at the Tourist Information Office in Linz and on the LINZ AG and ÖBB website.



Although countries that have signed the Schengen Agreement do not conduct routine passport checks at the border, many countries still maintain border control checks and it is strongly recommended to carry your passport with you at all times. To avoid any  predicaments, ensure that your passport has not expired before traveling to another country.

Some countries however accept expired passports (but only to five years from the date of expiration).


In Austria, it is important to carry a valid passport at all times. In case of loss or theft, you will have to submit a loss or theft report at a local police station or citizen services office.



If your passport expires in Austria during your stay, you will have to contact your home country’s embassy to renew your passport.

Information on all the foreign embassies and/or consulates in Austria can be found in »I live« and at the website of the Austrian forein ministery.




There are a number of regulations to adhere to in order to legally enter the European Union. These regulations are in place to protect internal EU space and are monitored by the Schengen Borders Code. Before entering the EU, visitors should familiarize themselves with the process beforehand. Visitors coming from outside of Schengen agreement countries are required to submit a customs declaration form and it is important to know which documents or personal identification information visitors require.


In accordance with the BMF (Federal Ministry of Finance) guidelines for travelers independently entering or leaving the EU with a cash amount
of € 10,000 or more, the exact sum must be declared to Customs in compliance with European Regulation (EC) No. 1889/2005 in effect as of June 15th, 2007. The initiative was introduced to support EU efforts in the fight against criminal activity, money laundering and terrorism.


Travelers entering or leaving the EU through external control checkpoints are subject to declaration if:


  • in possession of € 10,000 or more in cash, including cash equivalents such as other currencies or easily convertible assets (e.g. bonds, shares, travelers checks)


If applicable, you must complete and submit the proper declaration form at customs (or other responsible authority) at the control checkpoint through which you enter or leave the EU.

Why is this important?

  • To deter illegal criminal activity such as money laundering or
  • financing terrorism by the movement of illicit funds.
  • To comply with European Union Legislation and to avoid penalties for non-compliance.

What is the penalty for not submitting a declaration form or submitting a falsified form?

The funds could be confiscated and stiff penalties and fines will be imposed.



When changing residence to live in an European country, certain items intended for further personal use (»used goods«) will not be subject to import taxes and/or duties.


The following list provides examples of so - called »used goods«

  • household supplies and effects (equipment intended for household needs)
  • household pets
  • personal vehicles (bicycles, motorcycles, motor vehicles and accompanying trailers, camping caravans,…)

Complete list

Facebook social plugin